U8 Referee Certification
Regional Referee (minimum age 12):
Intermediate Referee (minimum age 14)
Advanced Referee (minimum age 16)
National Referee (minimum age 18)
1. Field assessments for level upgrades must be done in a typical AYSO match in the age group specified, using the Diagonal System of Control. Matches used for upgrade assessments must be of the duration specified for that particular age group in the AYSO National Rules and Regulations except that U-16 and U-19 matches shortened by no more than 5 minutes per half are acceptable.
2. If requested by the referee being assessed, a higher division match or a non-AYSO match of the equivalent age division (or higher) may be used for the assessment.
3. Applicants for Intermediate Referee level must be mentored by a Referee Mentor (or assessor) and recommended for upgrade by the Regional Referee Administrator or the Regional Director of Referee Assessment. At least one observation as a Referee is required, and one as an Assistant Referee is recommended.
4. Service units consist of: Observer-Friend observations;Mentoring of new referees for development or upgrade;Serving as a Referee Administrator, Director of Referee Instruction or as a Director of Referee Assessment; Instructing Assistant Referee and U-8 Official Training Courses;Instructing Referee Assessor Training Courses; Assessing candidates for upgrade in referee level, if qualified; No more than two (2) service units may be credited by an applicant for mentoring/observing an individual referee, or one (1) service unit per instruction course or one (1) service unit per year for an administrative function. The requirement for performing service units is waived in the case of candidates who are under 18 years old.
5. Entry may be at Assistant Referee, U-8 Official or Regional Referee level but, in addition to the requirements noted above, candidates for upgrade to National Referee must have one year (min.) experience as an Advanced Referee.